Monday, August 15, 2016

I Am Someone's Wife


I am married. I have a husband. I am someone’s wife. These are thoughts that still baffle me when I find myself slipping phrases like “my husband” into conversation. Ever since we got back from our honeymoon a two weeks ago I have been adjusting to being married. The new terminology is just one of the things I have to get used to. 



I remember when we were still dating it was weird to start calling each other “boyfriend” and “girlfriend”. Even weirder was the transition to “fiancé” that came with our engagement. But along with the weirdness was also pride. Each title denoted a slightly higher level of relationship status. People respect boyfriends and girlfriends, but they take fiancés much more seriously, especially if there is a sparkly ring to show off as well. When you are affianced to someone then people respect the fact that you have made your choice about who you will marry. When you just have a boyfriend people think “They still might break up…” but guys stop thinking they have a chance once the engagement is official. I thought the title of fiancé was pretty cool back in November, when it was fresh. 



But it is nothing compared to how awesome “husband” and “wife” are. Those are the best titles of all. They are like the PhD of relationship statuses. Boyfriend and girlfriend are like an associate’s degree: It’s great, but not as serious a commitment as Bachelor’s. Then you get your Master’s in being a fiancé and people really start to take an interest in what you have to say. But now you are have your marriage PhD and boy, you can rule the world! To inject the word “husband” into a conversation is to invoke the most sacred bond in your life. Even in our moment of history the word has power. It suggests commitment and monogamy. It says to the other person, “I risked everything and chose one person to be with for the rest of my life.” 





In the next few days and weeks I will tell you more about The Wedding and what Married Life has been like so far. But as my first post back I just wanted to revel in the newness and joy of having someone I can call “Husband”. 



No comments:

Post a Comment