Friday, July 24, 2015

Little Lucy's Literary Crushes

Dear Friends,

Did you ever have a crush on a character from a book? I totally have. As a young girl there were several book characters who captured my imagination and whom I considered to be fine specimens of manhood. I thought that if they existed in real life I would hopefully marry one of them. I share them down below in chronological order my encounter with them.

Here are my top three literary crushes from my early years:

1.



Character: Henry Huggins
Author: Beverly Cleary
Books: Henry Huggins, Henry and Ribsy, Ramona the Pest (here Henry does not have a large part, but he is older...and cuter)
My Age: 6-7
Quote: 
"Henry Huggins was in the third grade. His hair looked like a scrubbing brush and most of his grown-up front teeth were in. He lived with his mother and father in a square white house on Klikitat Street. Except for having his tonsils out when he was six and breaking his arm falling out of a cherry tree when he was seven, nothing much ahppened to Henry."
-Beverly Cleary, Henry Huggins

Attractive Qualities: I loved Henry, because he was fun, creative and just a plain nice guy. He liked to build cool things like a clubhouse and he would have adventures in his ordinary American suburb. I have always found guys who make stuff to be pretty attractive. He was also nice to girls and very loving to animals, especially his dog Ribsy. I love the old illustrations by Louis Darling.

I was introduced to Beverly Cleary's children's novels at around age six or seven. I loved Henry before I loved Cleary's more well-known character Ramona Quimby. My favourite thing to do ever at age six or seven was to sit and listen to Henry Huggins on tape as read by Stockard Channing.

2

Character: Samwise Gamgee
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Books: The Lord of the Rings
My Age: 8-9
Quote: 
‘If you don’t come back, sir, then I shan’t, that’s certain,’ said Sam. ‘Don’t you leave him! they said to me. Leave him! I said. I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the Moon, and if any of those Black Rulers try to stop him, they’ll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with, I said. They laughed.’ 
-JRR Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Attractive Qualities: I loved Sam dearly from the first time my parents read us LOTR when I was around eight or nine. I loved him, because he was so loyal to Frodo. I thought that his kindness and stubbornness with regards to remaining faithful and brave were totally awesome. I always wanted to play Sam when we played our LOTR board game.

I was also attracted to Sam's profession as a gardener and someone who cared about earthy and domestic things like dirt and potatoes. I like his practicality.

My mother and I compared notes on LOTR crushes. She said that when she was young she adored Aragorn. She said that it took her a long time to like Sam, because he was simple and annoying! Humph! Excuse you!

3.

Character: Klaus Baudelaire
Author: Lemony Snicket
Books: The Series of Unfortunate Events
My Age: 11-12
Quote:
“Being only twelve, Klaus of course had not read all the books in the Baudelaire library, but he had read a great many of them and had retained a lot of the information from his readings. He knew how to tell an alligator from a crocodile. He knew who killed Julius Caesar. And he knew much about the tiny, slimy animals found at Briny Beach, which he was examining now.” 

-Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning 

Attractive Qualities: I was obsessed with The Series of Unfortunate Events in middle school. I thought they were so cool and so clever. I loved the dark tone of the books and the prospect of a conspiracy to uncover which pervades the series. I also adored the illustrations and style designed by Brett Helquist, who remains one of my favourite illustrators today. I actually think my style has evolved to resemble his on occasion.

I loved Klaus. He was a lot like me in many ways: He wore glasses, was a middle child (he the middle of two sisters and I of two brothers), and he read incessantly. Those were three things which built a huge part of my identity in middle school. HE also carried around a thing which he called a "common place book". He wrote everything of importance down in it. I was inspired to do the same thing and ever since reading SOUE I have kept a common place book of some sort.

Who is you literary crush? Post a comment below to tell me!

PS
Here is a post about some of my favourite children's books.
Here is another book-related post.

2 comments:

  1. I had a crush on Gilbert Blythe when I was younger. :)

    (P.S. Jonny asked if you were going to do an adult literary crush edition…)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sayslisa: Gilbert! Yes! As to Jonny's question, I actually think I might:) Gotta think on that one...

    ReplyDelete