Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sketching Tips: Part III

Darling Readers,

For the past two days I have been on a sketching roll. Yesterday I mentioned one technique that I use when sketching in nature, which I call a sketching "shorthand". I do not know if this is an official term, but that is what I use to describe a way of indicating certain objects without drawing every single element. You can suggest a huge clump of leaves by using a short hand rather than by drawing each leaf. 

So I wanted to give you a visual idea of what I meant by that. Below I have jotted down a couple of the shorthands I use when drawing nature. Of course when I am focusing on something I would add more detail. But these are helpful for creating the illusion of effluviant foliage (Yes, I purposefully used that word to impress you all.)

I hope this is helpful!

Love,
Your Certified Sketching Trainer Expert Who Has Large Bug Bites on Her Bottom From Sitting in the Nature



PS
Bad News. I just double checked the definition of the word "effluviant". It does not mean what I thought it meant. I thought it meant bountiful. This is what it actually means: "Of or pertaining to effluviam." Effluvia apparently means: "A gaseous or vaporous emission, especially a foul-smelling one." Oops. Sorry about that, Guys! (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/effluvium)

It reminds me of a scene from Princess Bride:










No comments:

Post a Comment